Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tropical Fruit and Grocery Stores

As a native to southern California I value the availability and variety of my fruits and vegetables all year round. At any time of year I could get the freshest produce and sometimes unique produce.


A childhood friend of mine lived across the street from me for most of my young life. Her grandparents lived across from them on the other side(corner house). Her grandparents had a farm; chickens and I think goats. Vicky if you're reading this you know I'm talking about you : )

They also had acres of fruit. Bananas, oranges and my favorite guavas.

I remember visiting and they'd let me take home as many as I could carry. They'd go from the tree and straight into my tummy.


I knew them as guyava the Spanish name for them and only learned the English name guava until a few years ago when I started seeing guava nectar on grocery store shelves. It's funny, I never picked up Spanish but I didn't even know the English words for some things.


Back to the point. Andrew and I decided to check out a new grocery store to find my favorite pickles for macaroni salad. I won't settle for anything less than Vlasic Zesty Dills, not Kosher Dills. Thanfully, we found Zesty Spears, they aren't as crunchy but at least they have flavor.

While we were there, we looked around at our most purchased items to compare prices and see if we should make the switch to this new store. We walked the produce section, since 50-75% of our grocery bill is fresh produce.

After I picked up two delicious cantaloupes I saw from the corner of my eye my childhood favorite, guyava!! I'm pretty sure I skipped over.

They also had prickly pear fruit, yummy yum yum (it's the fruit of a cactus) and passion fruit. I'm hoping in a few weeks I might see figs! And maybe even the leaves of cactus(yeah, I eat those too).


Here is my delicious loot!

I cut of the ends. And dig in, you can eat skin and seeds.


According to several online sources, guava has 5 times more Vitamin C than an orange, plus calcium, iron, potassium among other things.


So, if you see these on your grocery store shelf consider yourself lucky and grab a couple to try.

Also, try a prickly pear fruit, cactus leaves(nopales), figs, jicama and anything else you've never had before.

No comments:

Post a Comment