Pages

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Carriage Hill Metropark and oh, Duck-Apocalypse

Hey! Long time, no write. I have been doing a whole lot of nothing lately. I've been struggling with the weather. We had several weeks of amazing high 60s and I spent every day outside pulling weeds and working on the yard. Then, it got cold, cloudy and windy. Well, it started to act like Spring.

Today, it was finally sunny and not too windy so I took Dakota on a walk at Carriage Hill Metropark. I love this part of Ohio, there are several metroparks around with horseback and walking trails for free! This particular one also has a visitor center that I've never been in. I like this park because the trails go through meadows and trees. Before you're tired of the scenery, it changes. There's also a fishing pond and a bunch of picnik tables.

I've been doing a 4.5 mile loop at Carriage Hill once a week for a few weeks and this is the first time I brought my camera. It's kind of a pain to hold onto a dog like Dakota and worry about my camera.
 After we were done, we went to the car and grabbed our lunch bag and headed back to the pond to sit and enjoy a snack.
 My snack (Dakota had a bowl of water) couldn't be enjoyed because as soon as we sat down two geese came over and started berating us. I gave them a few minutes to calm down and swim off, but they wouldn't stop honking. Mind you, this is a fishing pond and there were families and old men sitting in lawn chairs with their line in the water and tackle box open. These geese were disturbing the peace, and I was the cause. So, I moved.
I figured we were close to their nest, since this pond is surrounded by marshy areas. So I moved about 40-50 feet back away from the water. Next thing you know, the geese are out of the water and three ducks start hurrying over quacking at us.

At this point, Dakota can't control himself. He sat there, whining, wanting so bad to go lose himself in a haze of duck feathers I just decided to pack up and head home.

Over all, we had a pretty good time up until Duck-Apocalypse and Attack of the Geese. Carriage Hill is pretty cool and a very reasonable 20 minute drive from home. It's nice to be able to get in a long walk every week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment