Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Creature Comforts

I love animals, even the non-furry, amphibious kinds. A few weeks ago while working in the yard we found a cute little toad. See the sandbox that the previous owners so nicely left behind for us? Yeah, well the sand was a mix of algea, water, sand, mud and general rotting material. I think that's why the toad was hanging out in the area. Oh, and I wasn't expecting to be in a picture that morning, hence the no makeup and hair pinned back. I tend to get grubby while working outside.

What a cutie! I'm hoping I'll eventually find a snake and get to play around with it too! Yes, I'm aware of my strangeness. I can't handle spiders, but bring on the toads and snakes.



Last night as we brought in groceries from the car, I found this little guy. I was pretty excited. It's only the second praying mantis I've ever found in the "wild". The first was when Andrew and I were driving around back roads in Texas around Sheppard AFB. That one was 2 1/2 to 3 inches long and was impressively aware. I've never seen an insect so aware of it surroundings. When I got out of the car to take a closer picture, it cocked it's head my direction and watched me. It did this several times as I moved around it.



This little guy from last night did the same, and even pulled it's front legs up, ready for a fist fight. It failed to be as impressive as the giant one in Texas.



All these cute little creatures in my yard and Andrew won't let me keep a single one. If I find a snake, maybe he'll make an exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment