Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

Book Review: Remarkable Creatures

I've decided to start doing book reviews. In my 100 Books in 2011 page, I've listed the books I've read so far. Yes, yes. It's laughable that I will not reach 100 books by the end of the year, but at least I'm having fun trying.
As I've been listing the books I've also been describing what I liked or didn't like about them. Mostly, for me to remember the books I read and to eventually add them to my collection in the case of library books.

However, I thought it'd be kind of fun to add better, more descriptive reviews of the book for others looking for some ideas.


Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier is a book centralized around two women, Mary Anning and Elizabeth Philpot. Set in the early 1800s, Mary is Lyme's premiere fossil hunter and that doesn't exactly win her over with the more reserved locals. It does, however, cause her to be the main source of fossil hunting expertice for many traveling visitors to the area in search of fossils. Some of which were notable natural historians.

I didn't realize this story is based on real people and events until reading the author's Post Script. After reading some details of Mary Anning and Miss Elizabeth, I liked the story even more. It's another story of strong women, defying their time. In this case with science and questioning the known world at the time. There's a little love, sadness and a lot of fossils in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment