Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Gettysburg

We decided on the way back from New York to drive down to Gettysburg. It was about 30 minutes from the interstate. Once we got there we located the visitor's center(huge!) and located some lunch. We shared chicken fingers and some fries, then got a map and went on our merry way.
There is an option to buy an audio tour, each stop on the tour has a number and corresponds to an informational speal, I'm sure. We just decided to read the small paragraphs on the map and just do the auto tour.
This is up at Little Round Top looking over Devils Den.


Yes, that is a picture of the fallen soldiers in the field pictured below.

A cannon ball hole.

This is where President Lincoln gave his famous speech.



I took a lot of picures of different battlefields, I thought I'd just show some of the features. I think it's something you really have to be there for to see the size of everything and so you can read the signs and stare over a huge field where the fighting was done.


The whole thing took about 2 hours to drive around. I'm glad we did it and I can say I've been to Gettysburg now and actually picture where it all happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment